St Margaret’s Church, Topplesfield
Mr Brian Moody, Berwick Hall, The Causeway, Toppesfield, HALSTEAD CO9 4DZ 01787 237974 firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr James Blackie, Olivers, Gt Yeldham Road, Toppesfield, HALSTEAD CO9 4LS 01787 237642
Mrs Maureen Willis, 22 Christmas Field, Sible Hedingham, HALSTEAD. CO9 3QE 01787 460466
Miss Jazmine Croft. 01787 237067
Historical overview of St Margaret’s Church Topplesfield taken, with kind permission, from A Select Guide to Essex Churches And Chapels by members of the Friends of Essex Churches. Edited by John Fitch.
“The splendid red brick tower of 1699 is a landmark on the horizon, visible for miles. In memory of a generous rector, Robert Wilde, it is highly individual with its round arched windows, obelisk pinnacles and semi-circular troughs between ‘battlements’. Daniel Hill the bricklayer (see tablet on west face) did a superb job. The church, with its south aisle, has a beautifully light, cheerful interior, colour washed pinky cream walls, white plaster ceiling, and with only one stained glass window, and that pleasing. Another excellent feature is the mellow Georgian west gallery with lower stage of tower staircase visibale from nave. There is a plain eighteenth-century pulpit and one monument particularly worth noting. It is to Dorcas Smith (d. 1633) on the north chancel wall. By John Colt, son of the famous statuary Maximillian, it shows various emblems: a beehive for industry, a sheep on a book, a hand pointing up, and more books on their sides. A brass and a figure of a cross-legged knight of c.1260 are apparently hidden under the organ.”